Hormones decrease with age. In some patients, replenishing hormone levels with Bioidentical Hormones can result in improved memory, bones, energy, strength, skin and libido – in other words, an improved quality of life.
Unlike synthetic hormones, bioidentical hormones are chemically structured to be identical to the hormones produced by the human body. Synthetic hormone examples include Premarin®, Cenestin®, Menest®, Estra Tab, Provera®, Aygestin®, PremPro ®, Depoprovera® and combinations of any of these together. In July 2002, a study on synthetic hormones by The Women’s Health Initiative of the National Institute of Health was halted due to the negative long-term effects on women’s health, specifically breast cancer, blood clots, and strokes associated with synthetic hormones.
Bioidentical Hormone Options:
- Estrogen is present in women in three forms: estradiol, estrone, and estriol. Treatment with a bio-identical hormone form of these hormones can treat menopausal symptoms like hot flashes and vaginal dryness, improve psychological well-being, and reduce the incidence of coronary artery disease and osteoporosis.
- Progesterone helps to balance the effects of estrogen and prevent estrogen dominance. It relieves hormone-related mood swings, deters weight gain, helps restore libido, protects against breast fibrocysts and osteoporosis, and more.
- Testosterone is also present in women but at a much smaller dose than men. Low levels of testosterone in women can be related to reduced libido, depression, fatigue, poor recovery after exercise, dry skin, loss of bone density and decreased mental sharpness.
- Dihydroepiadosterone (DHEA) helps to protect against age-related illnesses and plays a key role in increasing sexual arousal, mental and physical capacity, bone density, fat-free mass, IGF-1, and insulin sensitivity. DHEA can also improve the lining of the coronary arteries, thereby lowering the risk of heart disease.
- Pregnenolone serves many purposes in the body. As a supplement, pregnenolone improves memory, reduces stress, decreases arthritis inflammation, and improves mood.
- Melatonin regulates the sleep-wake cycle. With advancing age, melatonin production often decreases and the natural body rhythm is interrupted by insomnia. Melatonin is commonly available at most vitamin/nutrition stores.
BHRT is commonly accomplished using creams, lotions, injections, gels, troches, and tablets forms. At Weight Loss and Vitality treatment is based on past medical history, current symptoms, and laboratory testing. Some patients considering treatment may need additional testing prior to initiating therapy and not all patients qualify or would benefit from BHRT. If you would like to learn more about bioidentical hormone replacement therapy, contact us at (571) 550-9000 for your consultation.